Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Make it Work

There's no cooking in the kitchen! OK, enough of that. How about we just have some more of this...


That's what I'm talking about. I've had a cupcake craving for a couple of days now, and there's not really a bakery in this two-bit town that makes a cupcake up to my standard. It's quite unfortunate, really. My mom was attending a potluck church thing so I figured I would do the charitable thing by baking cupcakes for her to bring just so I can satisfy my wee little craving. They pope should just put my name down for sainthood. I got the cupcake recipe from here, which based its cupcake on the Martha Stewart recipe.

Apparently, making a Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting can be tricky (which I found out for myself). I made the mistake of adding the strawberry puree at the wrong time with the egg whites and the sugar in the saucepan. Needless to say my meringue didn't peak so much. Since I had a time crunch and limited resources (i.e. 45 minutes and no more eggs) I looked online to see if I could salvage this soupy mess that just did not seem to want to turn into frosting. I found one website that suggested putting it in the fridge for 20 minutes and then beating it into delicious fluffiness. Again, time crunch so I put it in the freezer for 10ish minutes. After beating it for the second time I thought it would surely turn out but alas it curdled. Luckily, the same website suggested heating 1/4 of the frosting in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and streaming it back in the remainder frosting while beating on low. Voila! It worked and I saved the day for my mom (Not really since she was already bringing a tiramisu. Man they will really love her!).

Moral of the story: Always listen to Tim Gunn and just make it work. Oh, and eat a cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment