Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Hunger Games


Last night, while most people were partying after their midnight kisses and champagne, I was curled in my bed feverishly reading the Hunger Games. Someone had initially described it in the style of Stephanie Meyer (who despite her success, needs to understand no one says 'Jazzed' for anything), which was a turn off. It wasn't until one of my clever teacher friends, who I've known for ages, started talking about it, and she convinced me to give it a go.
I was in no way deterred by the fact they were in the Young Adult section at my favorite book store, if anything I have a very soft spot for children's authors. For my 18th birthday, my then-boyfriend bought me the entire (I think there were 10 at the time) Series of Unfortunate Events books. They are brilliant.
Science fiction has a love-hate relationship with the mainstream, but this book is making it available to a younger generation. Maybe it will encourage them to read books such as Lord of the Flies or 1984. I am pretty excited for the second book, hopefully I'll get it soon. It's an easy read, well paced, with an engaging story and characters. What's not to love?

1 comment:

  1. Just finished it tonight! Arrrrgh! Can't wait to read the next 2. Miss you, mean it! Have fun with the Scots. - Paco

    ReplyDelete