Friday, February 17, 2012

Guest Post: Rob with Adventures in Awkwardness and E Harmony

I thought it'd be interesting to have a guy's opinion on internet dating.  Remember here when I gave up online dating? And here when I went back to it? While Rob is not a member of Couch, he is very Couch friendly. Welcome!

So today I took the plunge, I signed up for an Eharmony account.
Background, after living the single life long enough and realizing I have no single, attractive, sane female friends, I decided this might be a good life choice. At least after haggling down to a manageable cost I figured it couldn’t be too bad. I even had two female friends suggest I do this. I tried it once before, went on two dates, and dated the second girl for 5 months. Not bad. I thought she was neat so I quit paying for it and now I have to sign up again. So it goes.
Anyway, yes. I suppose I will be documenting my foray into internet dating part deux. I think I should address a few possible concerns here before we get started.
1.       Am I qualified for this?
I have a degree in Sociology from Emory University. This means I can string a sentence together and I have a cursory knowledge of how to write about people doing wacky shit in a systematic, analytical, observational fashion. In addition, I am 25 years old with a promising career path, am physically fit, and have no STDs or significant personality disorders. Let’s do this.
2.       Who cares?
Beats the fuck out of me, you’re the one reading this.
3.       Isn’t internet dating sketchy?
Statistics I looked up on Google in 5 minutes indicate that 31% Americans either have used online dating or know someone who has. That seems fishy, but who cares. I’m a big strong American He-man and I can take care of myself.
4.       What if you don’t get any dates?
Then this will brief.
5.       What if you get loads of dates?!
I’ll be poor, but confident.
6.       What is your goal in all this?
I’d like to find a nice lady who is athletic, intelligent, sane, and I get along super well with. I know, right?
So anyway, that’s what I’ve got so far. I’m filling out my profile and all that, and putting up photos of myself that make me look like a well-adjusted human being.  This will be a process, and I will write more later.
So it begins.

1 comment: