Friday, November 11, 2011

A Battle of the Mr. Darcys

Pride and Prejudice happens to be one of all-time favorite stories. Ever. Let's be honest, it's because Mr. Darcy happens to be the most romantic figure in all of literature, and his story with Elizabeth Bennett grips my heart every single time. Lucky for me, there have been many film adaptations of this story. My two favorites happen to be the 1980 version and the 1995 version, both of which happen to be produced by BBC.

In my opinion, this version trumps the '95 version. The quality definitely shows that it was made in the late 70s/early 80s. That being the said, this has the best Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. And hello, let's talk about Mr. Darcy. I think David Rintoul portrayed him the best and really nails the differences in how his character interacts with Elizabeth throughout the novel. Definitely swoon-worthy.


Obviously, the best part of the 1995 version is Colin Firth. I still prefer the previous Mr. Darcy but Colin Firth is so absolutely fantastic in this. Colin Firth is still definitely swoon-worthy but I still think David Rintoul portrayed Mr. Darcy best. On the other hand, this version has a wonderful lake scene. You know which one I'm talking about (And if you don't, then I highly recommend you to watch this ASAP).

Enough of my nerd-dom. I do love Jane Austen and will continue to read P&P at least once every year and bury myself in the story of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett. I definitely recommend reading P&P,especially if you happen to be a ridiculous hopeless romantic like I am. It's more than just a book on most school reading lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment