Monday, November 7, 2011

On why I'm giving up online dating

Let me be clear: by giving up I mean deleting my profiles...I haven't actually been on a date since 2007. 

I'll start at the beginning...in college there was this guy that randomly friended me on FB.  I accepted him because this was the early days of FB so it wasn't that weird yet...and he had some FB friends in common with me...the roommate of the guy I dated freshman year, the girl whose ex-bf told her the only reason he dated her is that I wasn't single at the time, etc.  I hung out with this guy once or twice (I had a bf at the time so obviously it wasn't a date)...his parents and my parents had friends in common so it wasn't as creepy as it could have been. 

But then it got worse! Starting any message with "hey beautiful" if you're not dating the person is weird...especially if you know they have a boyfriend.  Also, he gave me weird details on his devirginization process, which NO ONE in their twenties should be talking about.  But I put up with his weirdness because his family is good friends with the people who live across the street, who my mom was good friends with at the time...

And then I was interning in Berkeley for a summer.  I didn't know anyone in the Bay Area and the girls at work were kind of standoffish towards me. Also, I had just seen my exboyfriend and was heart-broken and randomly bursting into tears on the subway.  So when this guy asked if I wanted to hang out, I said yes. We've all been there.  And when we hung out, he took me to some party where everyone was talking about their I Phones and 4 Square and I just went to the bar and got wasted because it sucked.  And when he dropped me off at the subway station he took my MARC JACOBS sunglasses so I'd have to see him again.  Friends...I did not see him again.  I even defriended him on FB because he was critical of my love of environmental policy. 

Two weeks ago he text messaged me about my sunglasses.  I have moved on to Wayfarers, thank you very much. 

Anyway, the point of this long story about this awful guy is that he is on every dating site with his own name as a user name and every site recommends him to me.  Internet, I say no...Real Life has proven that this guy is a jackass of a high degree.  If your algorithms think we should be together than I refuse those algorithms!!

And that was the last straw with online dating. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment