Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Healthy Balance of Dessert

OK, so after the sugar rush that was the pumpkin cake post here is a recipe for Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies that I made earlier tonight from the Skinnytaste site. I ended up with 23 instead of 30 so if you're counting calories, just beware that it may be off a bit. These were definitely pretty delicious for being low fat. Also, all I really had in the refrigerator was 2 tbs of butter and was not about to head out to Kroger at 9 p.m. just for some butter. I really dig this site a lot so you can probably expect several recipes from here in the future. I really like how she posts the nutritional info and WW points (even though I'm not on WW) for each recipe. Saves me a lot of trouble/guessing.

Low Fat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 30, I got 23 out of mine

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I lined one baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Gina says to use a mixer but I was lazy and didn't feel like whipping it out (that's what he said?) so I used a combo of a wooden spoon and my hands (Oh geez...). Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla. Then I alternated between adding the oats and flour mixture until just combined. Then stir in chocolate chips.
Drop heaping tablespoonfuls (approximately 1 tbs) of the dough onto prepared baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly. I tried to get the exact number of cookies so I even used an actual measuring spoon at 1 tablespoon to get these babies on the sheet. Oh well. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Another great thing about My Fitness Pal? Several people have already entered some of Gina's recipes in the food database. Seriously, highly encourage you to make these cookies and then sign up for My Fitness Pal (if you already haven't). It's so easy to use and completely brillz.

No comments:

Post a Comment