Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Shred it

Here's the deal...

I have been moping around for the past month trying to muster the motivation to keep a regular workout schedule. Its hard. I didn't realize how "spoiled" I was when I was a student athlete because I was pretty much forced into a 3+ hour workout 6 days a week...no wonder I was in shape. Now, I (ME)...I am in charge of keeping myself in shape. No one else. I feel like I have to re-learn how to do this on my own, since I've had coaches yelling at me to get in shape for the past 10 years.

How am I going to do it?

First--I want to thank Cristina for her motivation--I was getting on track, but her insistence on trying My Fitness Pal (which is AWESOME) is what put me over the edge into true workout mode. I may not yet be the essence of determination, but I'm a work in progress. Yesterday was my first day logging my exercises and food diary on the website. I said this to Cristina, but I hate (I mean really really despise) food diaries. They take the fun out of food in some sense and let's face it, food is supposed to be fun. Even though I wish I could junk punch whoever invented the idea of a food diary...I am going to keep up with one.

Now that the food part is somewhat under control...we have the exercise part. I have never hated exercise...never even slightly disliked it. I love working out--it is just the idea of doing it on my own that stinks. This has been my biggest roadblock. However, now that I've started a Turbo Kick class at the gym--it is getting easier.

*Side note: Turbo Kick is an awesome workout, but involves some extensive coordination. Some days my coordination is spot on and other days it leaves a little bit to be desired. For example, the other day I stood in the back of the class because it was just one of those days. One move-- "the skier" came up in the rotation and I couldn't get the moves down, so I just ended up doing a mix between the mashed potato and running man in the back of the room.

Another workout I am going to try is the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I think this may be a good thing during the holidays because it will keep winter blues at bay and keep me on task during heavy eating days. I didn't feel like waiting for the DVD to come from Amazon (even though it is only $8 online) so I got it from the library! I am super excited to try this since I've read a lot of positive reviews. I will definitely update on the progress throughout the 30 days. **fingers crossed**

5 comments:

  1. YAY!! So exciting! I have the 30 day shred somewhere in a box. Must bring it out. We are soooo going to kick our extra pounds' ass!!! (literally)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets start on the same day...find your copy and I'll let you know when I get mine from the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other couch members and readers are welcome to join in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.stuffjewishgirlslike.com/search/label/30%20Day%20Shred%20Challenge
    She posted updates about the shred and how tough but awesome it is...I will be sitting this one out guys because I think it might be too intense for she who still limps...but I'll be cheering you guys on and I expect blog updates! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sahitz! Join My Fitness Pal with us! Seriously, even the food journal is getting addictive. After you log in your food intake for the day it tells you how much you should expect to weigh in x amount of weeks. Plus, I'm sure there's a message board with people who have/had injuries. Do it!

    Also, I found my shred dvd. When do we start? :)

    ReplyDelete