Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Perspective



People, I've been wallowing in my own self-pity lately. Seriously wallowing. Not to the point that I've stopped showering and left the house looking like a mess but to the point that I may or may not burst into tears while listening to the new Kelly Clarkson album (what, she doesn't make you cry? Well then, we aren't friends). It is easy to feel adrift when one's favorite people are far away, and when you've had an experience come to an end and are left to pick up the unexpected pieces. I'm guessing most of us thought we'd be sitting pretty right now, in different circumstances then ones we are facing. Humility can be crushing, my friends. And humbling but mostly crushing at first.

The past couple of weeks I've been acting like a sad Tori Amos CD, and frankly I'm sick of my own shit. So I've decided to make a list of what I'm appreciative of to remember that there is no reason to leave the house without being well accessorized. I have a lot to be happy about even if I'm still unemployed and even if people I thought I had smashingly successful interviews with won't return my calls.

*Friends even if they are far away text you with celebrity sightings and who you know the next time you see them will all start off right where we left
*Living with my husband again and loving him
*70 degrees in November-- flip flop weather reigns supreme
*Farmers Market-- $2 for the largest head of kale you've ever seen!
*People watching on the Metro
* Free gym in my apartment building
*Walking distance to Nordstorm (not for shopping but for looooooooking and looooooving)
*Visits to Wineries
*Working with First Book to get over 2 million books to needy kids
*Volunteering at loads of awesome and maybe a few not so awesome events
* E Street Cinema
*Reading for FUN
*Scarves
*Watching Revenge and Downton Abbey
*Voting and getting a sticker to wear all day long
*Having the time to cook for fun
*Trader Joes Wine (tis cheap and tasty and gets the job)

Needless to say I could go on and on. But I won't bore you with my rambling, instead I'm headed to the roof deck of my apartment building to read in the sun. Everything will work out for all of us. We will all find that job, reach that next step, and have everything we never knew we even wanted. It will just take more time and effort to reach the destination. I do know however, that when we get to that point, the Kitchenaide Sangria is going to taste a hell of a lot sweeter from the journey.







No comments:

Post a Comment