Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Make-up Routine

First, my now not so secret shame is that I love makeup. I mean seriously love it. Could spend more money than I make on products without a care in the world. This is strange as I wasn't raised in a household where one needed to leave the house being made up. My Mom had one very strict rule; I could wear makeup but couldn't ever leave the house looking like a "street walker." So when I started to wear makeup, we went straight to Nordstrom and insisted upon a tutorial. No foundation was allowed, because Mom claimed (and I actually believe her) that most foundation makes you look dead and/or fake. At 66 my Mom has the best skin of anyone I know, me thinks this stems from her clean-faced approach all of these years.

Back to my list. I am a huge believe in spending money on quality products, which is why I don't tend to use products from the drugstore. When it comes to makeup, my philosophy is that you get what you pay for. I'm obsessed with everything Laura Mercier makes; her entire line is perfection but I've been known to stray to other lines such as Mac, Trish McEvoy, and Nars.

Drum-roll please-- walking you through entire process:
1) Get out of shower with a freshly washed face, apply moisturizer (will update you kiddos when I've found what I like).
2) Apply a ton of products to hair. Still look like I've been through a wind tunnel, so apparently this step is useless.
3) Deodorant
4) Eye cream, and then I apply an under-eye first step primer/concealer Eye Basics product from Laura Mercier in Peach. Then I apply either a Cargo OneBase Concealer/Foundation in OB O2 or Laura Mercier Secret Concealer in 1 (this depends on where I'm headed for the day).
5) Apply PaintPot by Mac in Soft Ochre to eyelids. This is the best! It holds my eye shadow for the entire day and is amazing, plus that little pot lasts forever.
6) Now this is highly controversial in my world currently (and I only do this step for date night, interviews, work functions, etc...) I use bareMinerals as my foundation. I'm not really certain I actually like this line and think it might be contributing to my breakouts but I like the look and feel of light but even coverage. I use the color Medium Beige and set it with their Mineral Veil.
7) Apply eyeliner: Depends on my plans but I usually use Laura Mercier liner in Black Gold. This is a fantastic color, I've purchased three of these babies and love, love, love. I'm no Kate Middleton so I don't do heavy liner in black and never line the bottom of my eyes. I also really like two bareMinerals liners called Big & Bright in Plum and/or Black Coffee. These are fantastic, go on smoothly and are brilliant at getting right into the lash line.
8) If I'm going for broke, I then apply (OH WAIT, I do this first actually, before the liner) a Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Color. I have several colors and would 100% recommend everyone get at least one of these. I have Gold, Pink Gold and Alloy. Fantastic.
9) Next stop layers of eye shadow depending on what look I wand to achieve. If I'm just doing something natural I leave it at Mac Naked Lunch. But trust me when I tell you I have lots of different shadows mostly in the natural/neutral range with some shimmer. No blue or green found in this lady's makeup bag.
10) Mascara: Never leave the house without mascara and concealer, except to visit the gym. I use and swear by Trish McEvoy Lash Curling Mascara in Jet Black. It never clumps, and comes off in tubs. Also never runs which is crucial as I tend to be emotional.
11) Blush: Either Nars Orgasm or Laura Mercier in Rose Bloom
12) Lip Balm: Usually a tube that I've picked up abroad. I tend to think of lip balm as the perfect souvenir. I seem to never wear lipstick but would love help on this. Gloss would be Trish McEvoy in Irresistible Pink but that is only for fun times.

Oh lord, that looks like a ton but it takes me a hot second. I frequently skip steps and just do the most basic routine to ensure I don't look dead. I also always put on perfume, something I also learned from my Mom. I was never allowed anything cheap. My first real perfume was by Chanel because to quote my lovable Mom, "If you smell cheap, no one will respect you. Classic and thoughtful women smell classic and thoughtful." Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment